Weather | 9/21, cloudy, 61°, 67° | 9/22, 0.02" rain, 60°, xx°
| 9/23, xx°, xx° | 9/24, xx°, xx° | 9/25, xx°, xx° | 9/26, xx°, xx°
| 9/27, xx°, xx° |
- Monday, 9/21: Baking Cookies & Shopping Trip
- I shot at two squirrels that were in the pecan trees this morning and missed.
- Mary noticed cardinal parents that were taking care of a yellow-billed cuckoo youngster. She discovered from online sources that cuckoos occasionally parasitize during years of very abundant cicadas, moths, and caterpillars, but it doesn't happen often. We had huge numbers of caterpillars this year.
- I drove to Quincy because we're almost out of chicken food. I picked up a couple other items.
- Mary made chocolate chip oatmeal cookies to have as snacks while we butcher chickens.
- She picked half of an ice cream bucket of tomatoes.
- After Mary put the chickens to bed, I asked if she heard any squirrels rummaging around in the pecan trees. She said she heard a barred owl hooting from within one of the pecan trees, so there probably were no squirrels in those trees.
- I added mothballs to all of the plastic pop bottles in the pickup's engine compartment that lacked mothballs, due to them drying up over time. The last batch of mothballs we bought were faulty. They dry up in less than a week. Usually, they last longer. I removed a mouse nest under the air filter in the air filter housing. Effective moth balls would inhibit mouse nest activity.
- We originally planned to butcher chickens tonight, but decided not to start, due to a chance of rain. Killing chickens is never fun. Doing it in the rain is even less enjoyable. It was misting at nightfall. We made the right decision.
- I learned from online videos about better methods of cleaning the Marlin 39A .22 rifle by disassembling the lever action and barrel, similar to how bolt-action guns are cleaned.
No comments:
Post a Comment