Tuesday, September 8, 2026

Sept. 7-13, 2026

Weather | 9/7, p. cloudy, 65°, 84° | 9/8, p. cloudy, 64°, xx° | 9/9, xx°, xx° | 9/10, xx°, xx° | 9/11, xx°, xx° | 9/12, xx°, xx° | 9/13, xx°, xx° |

  • Monday, 9/7: A Laborious Labor Day
    • I shot a squirrel in the morning. Mary heard pecan shells rattling off the grain bin roof and urged me to grab the .22 rifle instead of helping her with morning chicken chores.
    • I hunted squirrels around noon and in the late evening. Both times I saw squirrels running away from the pecan trees, but then didn't see any while watching with a rifle in hand.
    • Bill left for his St. Charles apartment around 1 p.m.
    • I glued the trim on the bottom edge of the pickup topper that was coming loose on the passenger side from the wheel well to the backend.
    • I mowed the trail to the chicken killing cone. Some horse weeds were above my head. I had to run over the trail with the lawnmower several times to get the vegetation all cut down.
    • A more thorough check of the Carpathian walnut tree indicated no leaves on the sapling. 
    • Mary picked a full cat litter bucket of hazelnuts (see photo, below) and reported that there are many more in the bushes. She also saw where the guys who sprayed saplings under the electrical lines actually painted herbicide on autumn olive saplings that were right next to hazelnut bushes. They did a very good job.
    • Using the extension ladder, I cleaned Virginia creeper vines away from our bedroom windows.
    • I helped Mary water gardens by filling watering cans. I watered all of the small cherry trees.
    • Mary picked 28 worms off tomato and tomatillo plants. Four worms came off during daylight hours, along with two worm eggs. The remaining 24 worms were removed while using the UV flashlight at night. Mary steps on the worms with her right foot. She looked at the bottom of her boot after removing it, shined the UV light on it, and the boot sole looked like nuclear waste.
    A full 4-gallon bucket of unhusked hazelnuts.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment