Weather | 9/14, 0.15" rain to p. cloudy, 55°, 79° | 9/15, p. cloudy, 74°, 89°
| 9/16, 1.87" rain, 65°, xx° | 9/17, xx°, xx° | 9/18, xx°, xx° | 9/19, xx°, xx°
| 9/20, xx°, xx° |
- Monday, 9/14: Red Sky at Morning
- We saw a brick orange color all across the sky as the sun rose behind clouds east of us. It was a good indicator of the saying, "Red sky at morning, sailors take warning."
- I shot at one squirrel. It hurried down the tree trunk and ran away. After that, there were no more squirrels. They knew that weather was arriving.
- It rained this morning as thunderstorms rolled through.
- Later in the day, I mowed around the compost bins and dumped clippings into the middle bin in order to build up a carbon cushion where future chicken carcasses will go. It's now about a foot deep. I have a ways to go to get it to the three-foot height of the metal roof panels that make up the sides of the compost bin. Grass is extremely tall, since it wasn't mowed during several bouts of high temperatures. About five lawnmower passes are needed to get it all mowed up.
- Mary picked tomatoes and hot peppers.
- She strung up the hot peppers to dry and put jalapeño peppers in the fridge. She made jalapeños picked last week into refrigerator pickles.
- Mary picked 39 worms off the garden plants, 35 with a UV flashlight after darkness fell. Six came out of the pepper patch. Too bad we're not harvesting and selling worms. It would be a bumper crop!
- While in the pepper patch tonight, Mary heard the churring sound of a raccoon not far away. She made a racket that silenced it.
- Tuesday, 9/15: Rifle Cleaning & Picking Hazelnuts
- I cleaned the .22 rifle I like to use. It's a Marlin Golden 39A that Mary's uncle Herman once owned. Mary looked up the serial number. It was made in 1964 and is extremely sought after. I like it because it's very accurate.
- I sharpened two knives. They were very dull and took 40 strokes on each of the three stones to produce a sharp edge. There are only 12 more knives to do to catch up on sharpening all of the main knives that we use. Mary was about to go on strike in cooking meals, due to super dull knives. Plus, we need several sharpened for chicken butchering.
- Mary picked an overflowing four-gallon bucket of hazelnuts. There are still many more nuts left on the bushes.
- I shot squirrel at the same time Mary was putting the chickens to bed. I was inside the machine shed, shooting out the open east end of the building at a squirrel in the pecan trees. Even a shot from a small caliber .22 rifle really is loud when you're shooting from inside a metal building!
- A little later, as I stepped out of the woods on the trail between the two gardens, I saw two great blue herons flying north to south just above the far garden. The nearest bird let out a squawk when it saw me and was flying so low that it barely cleared the cedar trees just south of the garden. Herons have a very ratchety call.
- Thunderstorms arrived after dark and rain was pouring down by bedtime.
No comments:
Post a Comment